Certified Roofing Contractor
Free Roofing Estimates & Inspections
Advantages/Disadvantages of Various Styles of Roofing
When constructing any building, choosing the right type of roof is important both in terms of aesthetic design, as well as practical function. There are numerous styles of roofing, each style with its own advantages and disadvantages.
Probably the most simplistic looking, a flat roof is (obviously) completely flat with only a very slight pitch to allow for water drainage.
- Advantages: There is plenty of space for a rooftop patio or garden. These roofs also provide a nice, out-of-the-way spot for HVAC units, solar panels, and other equipment. They are easy to construct with minimal materials.
- Disadvantages: Flat roofs tend to require more repairs than pitched roofs and have higher chances of water leakage.
Flat roofs tend to be used on commercial buildings; though, they are also a low-cost way to top off a home as well.
A hip roof has four slopes that come together at the top to form a ridge.
- Advantages: The four-way slope makes it much more stable than other roofing types, and allows water and snow to run off with ease. There is also more ventilation and space for an attic.
- Disadvantages: Hip roofs are more complex than flat or gable roofs, making the odds of failure a bit higher. They can also be a tad more expensive.
There are a number of different types of hip roofs, including simple hip, cross hipped, and half hipped.
Gable roofs are formed with two slopes coming together to form a triangle.
- Advantages: These are easy to design, and they keep costs down, while also providing a slope for water to drain off.
- Disadvantages: High winds can be a problem for gable roofs if they’re not well constructed, especially if there is too much overhang, in which case, the entire roof could be torn free.
These roofs are simple, but they need to be well constructed to make sure they are sturdy.
Regardless of the roofing style, you need skilled roofers in Dallas who come equipped with the materials and knowledge involved in constructing a roof. Contact Rebuild Texas Roof Pros to learn about us and our roofing services.